The faculty of St. James Catholic School strongly recommends that students read every day. Reading positively impacts all academic areas. Try to set aside some time each day for reading. Be sure that your child has a quiet and comfortable place with plenty of light. Unless specified below, students may read any appropriate books at or above their grade level. Please follow the instructions below for their rising grade level.
School Year 2019-2020
Specific Recommendations for Each Class:
- Pre-Kindergarten: Please read daily to your child. Picture books are recommended. You can find them at the library, on the Internet, or at home. No log sheet will be required or collected.
- Kindergarten: Please encourage your child to read for enjoyment and enrichment. For your convenience, a Kindergarten Suggested Summer Reading List is provided, or you may choose your own books. No log sheet will be required or collected.
- First Grade: Students must complete two assignments. Please see the attached instructions. The summer reading project must be handed in on the first day of school.
- Second Grade: See the attached instructions.
- Third Grade: Have students read a minimum of 6 books in their Lexile Range. Complete the attached log. Students must also make a portrait of one of the characters as well as complete a written piece about the character. The assignment will be due the first week of school.
- Fourth Grade: See the attached instructions.
- Fifth Grade: See attached instructions. This will count as a reading grade for the first quarter.
- Sixth Grade: Read at least 15-20 minutes per day. Select at least THREE books (ONE must be historical fiction) in your Lexile Range. Record all of the books read on your Summer Reading Log Sheet. You must complete the attached book report form for the historical fiction novel you read. The log and report will be due the first week of school.
- Seventh Grade: Students are required to read The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt. They will then choose a project from the list provided. Students are required to purchase a copy of the book and bring it to school on the first day. Project due NO LATER than Friday, August 23, 2019.
- Eighth Grade: Students are required to read Restart by Gordon Korman with an assignment given the first week of school. The book must be read by the first day of school. Students are required to purchase a copy of the book and bring it to school on the first day.