HISTORY & DEVELOPMENT
- Opened in August of 1956 on the grounds of St. James the Less Chapel in Savannah, Georgia
- Bishop Thomas J. McDonough staffed the school with four Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Pennsylvania
- On January 13, 1957, the dedication of the school and convent was held
- In 1960, construction began on the upper school, with eight classrooms, and a cafeteria
- In 1983, two additional classrooms and a fine arts room was added
- In 1994, after the construction of the St. James Church and Parish center (gym), the administrative area and cafeteria were redesigned, and the additional rooms were built to accommodate a science lab, a computer lab and bathrooms in the annex
- The school library has increased in size to include a media center to honor Mrs. Kay Blanton, the school librarian (1970-2000)
- In 2006, the school was re-blessed by Bishop J. Kevin Boland in celebration of the school’s 50th anniversary
- In 2014, a new Mac lab and iPad carts were added to the school
Saint James Catholic School in Savannah, Georgia, is a Christ-centered community inspired by the charism of the IHM Sisters that prepares students for a life of learning and service to God.
The faculty and staff are dedicated to promoting peace by encouraging students to live prayerfully, morally, and responsibly. St. James Catholic School strives to incorporate the Gospel message into its work while also promoting the four purposes of a Catholic education: message, community, worship and service.
St. James Catholic School reflects a family spirit that strives to support and encourages interaction within the community to provide for the needs of others.
St. James Church and School encourages strong community ties between the parish and school communities. St. James School greatly benefits from the guidance and support of their pastors and parish members.
A member of the National Catholic Education Associate with accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
We offer a challenging curriculum which prepares students for success in high school & the future.
- Smart boards in every classroom
- Mac computer lab for all grades
- PC laptops for 7th and 8th grade
- PC research lab in the library
- 2 traveling IPad carts
- Wireless connectivity throughout campus
- Track and Field
- Founded in 1956: Operated by Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Grades: PreK-8
- Enrollment: Diverse student body of 400+ students
- Head of School: Sr. Lisa Golden, Principal, and Jennifer Cline, Vice Principal
- Head of Church: Fr. Mark Ross, Parish Pastor, and Fr. Jason P. Adams, Parochial Vicar
- Faculty and Staff: 53